Skip to main content

A Morning View From the Patio

I am continuing to look at Matthew 5 and today we are gong to focus on verse 4. "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." 
I remember the first significant death in my life which I experienced was Granddad Halter. It was fall of 1976, I was a sophomore in high school and his funeral was on a Friday, week 10 of my high school football season. My family had been together the night before for alone time and everyone in the room was a mess, except for me. I thought, "Well, someone here needs to keep their senses and have some sort of control." So I became the rock in the room comforting everyone else. I cried a little, but I did not grieve and mourn because someone had to be under control. 
I went to school, left to attend the funeral and went back to school because I wanted to play in the game that night. My coach gave me the option to miss the game and I said no way! My Granddad was going to finally get to watch me play a football game. I was fine during the service, all I cared was that he was going to see me play for the first time. We finished up the funeral service and after everyone had left I went to the casket one last time and broke. I sobbed, the wave of grief fell over me and I was on my knees crying and shaking to the core. For the first time in my life I knew what it meant to mourn. 
As I read commentaries relating to this passage, I believe Jesus was referencing a different kind of mourning. Mourning in the Beatitudes was not about physical death, but mourning of the sin I have committed in my life which in turn separates me from God. Let's look at this verse differently. Blessed are those who realize their sin separates them from God, confesses them, seeks forgiveness and falls to the floor sobbing and shaking to the core. Blessed are we who truly repent and seek to not sin again. Blessed are we who identify the grace of eternity afforded us when we mourn our separation from God and celebrate reconciliation. 
I am not sure I have mourned my sin properly. How about you? 
Lord, please bless me as I properly mourn. Bring me comfort! 
Peace,
PB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Morning View By the Wood Stove

If you proclaim Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then I must ask you a question. Are you seeking the deepest possible intimate relationship with God that you can ever experience on this earth? Because I know what I am about to say to be absolutely true. If you are not and if you are pursuing anything other than God you will not ever be satisfied and ultimately any other relationship will fail. It does not matter how deeply connected with another person you are without God it will fail. Failure may not mean completely walk away, failure can mean that a relationship will not be what it is intended to be and you settle for it because at least it is there, it's the best I can do, it could be worse and for many other reasons.  We are created to be in relationship with one another. We have many relationships and many depths within those relationships. We have social relationships. We have relationship with many forms of addiction and substitution. We have friends and we have FRIENDS...

A Morning View Near the Patio

I believe Christians are called to live a different life in the world than those who are not Christian. I believe that no matter the circumstance of the world, the government and all the just and injustice we are called to be different. Jesus handled the Easter journey much differently than I believe the modern Christian in the USA would have handled it. The Apostle Paul lived as best he humanly could to model the path and life of Jesus Christ during the difficult times of persecution and injustice of his journey. A lot of thoughts are swirling in my head during our difficult time we are currently experiencing and all of those thoughts come back to my life as a Christian, believer and follower of Jesus Christ, and do my thoughts, actions and words model Jesus on the Easter journey to the cross? In Matthew 16:24-26 Jesus told his disciples to "take up their cross and follow me!" I am believing that Jesus is telling us to live like, act like, be like and love like Jesus did....

A Morning View Near the Patio

Sabbath - to rest from labor, set aside as holy. Because we have less to do in our current situation, perhaps as Christians we can redefine what Sabbath looks like for us. I wonder how many of us traditionally go to church in our weekend routine, have lunch then get right back at it? After all, we have so much to do and so little time. It has been nice to sit and be. On the nicer days, when the weather cooperates, it has been so nice to sit on the patio and just be. I have sat and contemplated there more this year than I did all last summer. Perhaps a new normal of Sabbath can take place in our lives. As a child I remember going to church on Sunday morning and on the way home being dropped off at Grandma and Granddad's place. We would have lunch and quite often go for a ride. Usually the ride would end somewhere with ice cream! The routes must have been develops around the ice cream establishments in Northeast Ohio! We did very little, but for me as a kid we did a lot. I remember...